WORK IN PROGRESS LAB
The Work-in-Progress Lab gives selected filmmakers a chance to screen the rough cut of their film to an eminent panel of international advisors, which include a film festival director, film critic, producers and editors. These advisors provide valuable feedback on the edit with the aim of helping the filmmaker achieve an accomplished final cut of the film. The Work-in-Progress Lab is open only to fiction features in the rough cut. A maximum of five films are selected for this Lab each year.
The Director and Editor of the selected film screen their rough cuts to the panel of advisors and receive an intense one-on-one feedback. The international editor assigned to the film then guides the Director and Editor of the selected film through two sessions of the Editing Lab.
Since its inception in 2008, the Work-in-Progress Lab has moulded films which have gone on to premiere at top international film festivals and receive critical acclaim.
The past two editions of Work-in-Progress Lab 2021 took place online and were a huge success. This year, the Work-in-Progress Lab will take place during Film Bazaar in Goa.
Director, Eeb Allay Ooo!
WIP Lab 2018
“The Work-in-Progress Lab at NFDC Film Bazaar provided us a platform to present our film to a larger audience of festival programmers, sales agents as well as fellow filmmakers. The lab presented us with an opportunity to interact with mentors… Looking back now, the WIP Lab has proved to be one of the most important junctures for the journey of our film. I hope the lab continues to support independent filmmakers in the future as well.”
PROJECTS FROM THE PAST
SUBMIT YOUR PROJECT
Applications to open soon. For any query, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMIT YOUR PROJECT
Before you begin, please read the Rules | Regulations for guidelines on filling the online Application Form as well as Submission of Materials.
Please Please also read the Undertaking which has to be submitted along with the application for it to be considered complete.
For any further queries, please read the FAQs.
- The Work-in-Progress Lab is open only to fiction feature films from India and South Asia.
- The film to be submitted should be in their rough-cut stage or just before the final edit. All or a large part of the principal photography must be complete, but not the entire post-production. Completed films are ineligible for the Work-in-Progress Lab.
- Short films (under 60 min) are ineligible for the Work-in-Progress Lab.
Only completed submissions by the due date will be considered for the selection process of the Work-in-Progress Lab.
When you apply, you will need:
- Details of the applicant (Director, Producer, Production company)
- Synopsis (150 words max)
- Director’s Note and Biography (150 words max)
- Filmography of director and producer
- A password protected, downloadable screener link of the film
- Three stills of submitted film
- Director’s photograph
- A maximum of 5 feature-length fiction films are selected for the Work-in-Progress Lab
- The decision of NFDC Film Bazaar will be final
- Projects that are not selected for the Work-in-Progress Lab can be showcased in the Viewing Room if the applicant is seeking finishing funds, distribution or film festivals for the film, without any additional application fee
- A filmmaker can choose to submit a film in both sections – Viewing Room and Work-in-Progress Lab. (For more information, please read the Rules | Regulations)
- The Director and the Editor of the selected films will be provided free registration to NFDC Film Bazaar Online to attend the Work-in-Progress Lab
- In case, the Director cannot attend the online sessions of the Work-in-Progress Lab, the film will be disqualified and another project will be selected in its place
- The Producer of the film cannot attend the Work-In-Progress Lab in place of the Director and the Editor of the film cannot attend in the absence of the Director.
Deadline Extended: September 30, 2021
- Early Bird Deadline – September 9, 2021 (11:59 pm IST)
- Deadline – September 22, 2021 (11:59 pm IST)
The Work-in-Progress Lab will take place before the dates of NFDC Film Bazaar Online. The exact schedule of the Lab will be communicated with the filmmakers of the selected projects.
- INR 7,500/- for submissions received before the Early Bird Deadline
- INR 8,000/- for submissions received after the Early Bird Deadline until the last date of submission